Square unveils new iPad stand dubbed Square Stand
Square today unveiled the Square Stand, the company's latest effort to become an even more entrenched player in the mobile-payments market.
The Square Stand is essentially an elegant stand with an embedded card reader for the iPad that, when running Square Register, offers a compelling alternative to traditional cash registers. You might also notice that the device bears an ever so slight resemblance to Apple's iMac.
"Local business owners take as a given that they need an ugly, slow, expensive and complicated point of sale system cluttering their counter," Square co-founder Jack Dorsey, said in a press release. "Square Stand is elegant, fast, affordable and easy to use. Whether you're selling cupcakes, cardigans or cappuccinos, running your business with Square has never been easier."
As pictured above, the Square Stand can be configured to work with a cash drawer, a receipt printer and a barcode scanner -- items which are also available for purchase from Square.
It's worth noting that the first iteration of the Square Stand is only compatible with second- and third-generation iPads, as the stand relies on Apple's 30-pin connector. A model supporting the fourth-gen iPad's Lightning connector is expected later this year.
The stand retails for US$299 and is available for pre-order from Square. Best Buy, along with other select retailers, will begin carrying the device in early July. Square said that iPad customers represent nearly 50 percent of total payments processed by Square.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync