Plex media server on Apple TV ... without jailbreaking
So, you want access to Plex on your Apple TV, but don't want to jailbreak the little black box to do so? Never fear -- a hack created by Plex users Baa, roidy and f00b4r called PlexConnect makes the popular media server software available to Apple TV owners without the need to jailbreak.
Like most workarounds, PlexConnect does involve a little deviousness. Users hoping to use PlexConnect must run a program on a computer connected to the Apple TV that pretends to be Apple's own Trailers app. Next, a network setting is changed on the Apple TV, after which the Apple TV begins to accept Plex content.
Of course, a future Apple TV update could easily disable PlexConnect, but the Plex community is full of bright little stars who would probably be able to get the hack working again quickly. A video of PlexConnect at work, complete with loud nose-breathing soundtrack, is embedded below.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter