FileMaker announces Bento will be discontinued on September 30
FileMaker has released a statement saying that it's discontinuing its Bento database software in favor of focusing on FileMaker.
Bento will continue to be available for the Mac, iPhone and iPad until September 30. Technical support, software updaters for the Mac client and forum moderation will be provided until July 30, 2014. The company said it will not replace it with a similar product and urges users to migrate to FileMaker Pro, offering a $120 discount for existing Bento customers until October 30.
FileMaker says that growth of its flagship FileMaker product on iOS was one of the reasons behind shuttering Bento. Some Bento features, however, such as WiFi database sync between Mac and iOS clients, are not available in the flagship product.
Bento was released for a public preview in November 2007, with version 1 hitting stores in January 2008. FileMaker unveiled the fourth incarnation of Bento in March 2011, and the software has been a TUAW favorite.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle
- FlightTrack 5: new look and features just in time for holiday travel
- HBO Go for iOS update adds Google Chromecast support
- Haiku Deck updates iPad app, launches web-based cloud version
- Weather Underground iPhone app gets crowdsourced weather, iOS 7 style
- Apple updates iMovie, adds support for older Macs