Just Mobile AluDisc and AluPocket: Review and giveaway
Just Mobile is an accessory design shop with a difference: they love to do most of their work in Jony Ive's favorite material, aluminum. Recently the company announced two new products: the AluDisc (US$69.95) for iMac and Thunderbolt Display and the AluPocket ($29.95) for iPhone. Both are solid additions to the award-winning lineup of Just Mobile products, and we'll be giving away one of each at the end of this review.
The idea of a 360° rotating turntable is nothing new -- Rain Design's i360 has been available for years. But Just Mobile has taken the idea to a much more stylish conclusion. The AluDisc is made from a single piece of aluminum with a radial finish that's quite attractive. It sits on a thin ball-bearing mount that rotates with the touch of a finger, and unlike the i360 requires no installation -- you simply place your iMac or Thunderbolt Display atop the AluDisc.
It's about 11 inches in diameter (28 cm) and just .83 inch (2.1 cm) thick. To retain stability, it has a bit of weight to it -- it weighs about 2 pounds (906 grams).
I found the AluDisc a no-brainer to set up; just take it out of the box and put the iMac on it. It swivels smoothly and silently, and is perfect for those open desk layouts with lots of space where you might want quick access to the back ports of the iMac.
We see a lot of iPhone stands around TUAW. The basic idea is that it gives you a way to "display" your iPhone while you're charging it instead of just laying it on a desktop. The AluPocket, on the other hand, is an iPhone wall mount that seems to be designed more for those situations where you're not necessarily using your iPhone, but just want it off of the floor while it's plugged in.
Just Mobile's website shows the AluPocket being attached to a wall near a power outlet and on what appears to be a cubicle wall. The accessory is attractively designed, looking like a circular pocket with a space for an iPhone to be tucked in. A vertical slot runs up the front of the AluPocket to accommodate a charging cable.
To attach it to the wall, there are two 3M Glue-free tape strips on the back, plus a few refill strips if you need to move the AluPocket. Inside the aluminum pocket are a few soft plastic grips that keep your iPhone standing upright, even when you're tapping on the screen.
Both the AluDisc and AluPocket continue Just Mobile's streak of Apple accessory "wins". They're incredibly well-designed for both style and functionality, constructed of solid materials for long life, and reasonably priced.
Now we're giving TUAW readers a chance to win one of these two Just Mobile accessories.
Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before August 11, 2013 11:59PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- You may enter only once.
- Two winners will be selected. One will receive a Just Mobile AluDisc valued at $69.95, while the other will receive a Just Mobile AluPocket with a value of $29.95.
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration