Ingenious Xvida Boomerang stands out in the crowd
There are a lot of iPad stands and mounts on the market, as well as a superabundance of iPad cases that have some sort of stand built into them. When something comes along that is totally unique, it grabs my attention. That's the situation with the Xvida Boomerang (US$79.99 for Boomerang and Multi-Mount), a Kickstarter graduate that's now in full production here in the USA and available through BiteMyApple.co.
The Boomerang gets its name from the shape of the two back-to-back "boomerang" shapes that make up the device. In between those pieces is an ingeniously-designed metal tilt mechanism that locks securely into specific angles -- 22°, 45°and 60°.
The back of the Boomerang has four extremely powerful magnets on it. Those magnets grab onto other other accessories that are available from Xvida -- a rather swoopy and dramatic Desk Stand ($89.99), a Headrest Mount ($24.99), a Suction Cup Mount ($24.99), and a car Air Vent Mount ($24.99). The starter kit comes with one Multi-Mount (two for $24.99), which has a strong adhesive on the back and also comes with a screw, plastic wall anchor, and washer for more permanent installation. You can also just stick your Boomerang-equipped iPad to metal surfaces like a refrigerator.
The Boomerang is designed to work with the 2nd- through 4th-Generation iPad, and weighs just 4.6 ounces (130 grams). It's also incredibly thin -- just about a quarter-inch (6 mm).
Installing the Boomerang takes just a second. You slide the iPad into one pair of clips on the side that is conveniently marked with a "1". To finish installation and use the iPad on a flat surface or with one of the accessory mounts, you just put the other iPad corners into the other pair of clips.
To use the Boomerang as a stand, you simply pop the "2" corners out and then flip the free "boomerang" down. It clicks into position and locks at one of the pre-set angles. To get the stand completely flat again, you must first flip the free boomerang piece so that it's flat against the one connected to your iPad. That unlocks the mechanism, at which point you can fold it flat again.
And that's pretty much about all you need to know about using the Boomerang. When you want to connect it to one of the accessory mounts, it's just a matter of sticking the center of the Boomerang near the mount and the magnets take over.
I chose not to mount the Multi-Mount on a wall or window since the review item is being given away, so I just used it as a stand and to attach it to my refrigerator as a big "fridge magnet". It worked well on both counts. One feature I love when the iPad is laying flat is that the back of the Boomerang has four small rubber feet that keep the iPad from moving.
One other mounting accessory that I'd like to see Xvida develop is a hand grip. For those who need to work with their iPads while standing, that would be a perfect addition to the product line.
With the Boomerang, Xvida definitely "thought outside the box" and the result is an iPad stand and mount that is unlike any other on the market. In terms of utility and light weight, the Boomerang excels.
- Unique design with good looks
- Adjustable to three locked positions, and usable with a number of add-on mounting accessories
- Very lightweight
- Easy and fast to install and take off
- When combined with the optional accessories, the Boomerang is quite expensive
- No protection for the iPad
Who is it for?
- The design-savvy iPad owner who wants a versatile mount and stand accessory
One lucky TUAW reader is going to end up with a Boomerang Starter Kit courtesy of BiteMyApple.co.
Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before August 20, 2013 11:59PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected and will receive a Xvida Boomerang Starter Kit valued at $79.99
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter