iPad 101: No bottle opener? No problem
This handy tip first made the rounds in May of 2012, but it's worth reviving for a holiday weekend filled with barbecues, beer -- and probably a few missing bottle openers. According to Twitter's @EvaGiselle (and technique confirmed/photo thanks to TechHive's Susie Ochs), you can indeed pop the top on a frosty bottle of suds using nothing more than your bare hands and an iPad charger.
Although CNET originally ran into some troubles (cracked adapters) with this approach, the Huffington Post was able to use it with ease given a little bit of care and finesse. Needless to say, if you break your adapter using it in a manner for which it was not designed, good luck getting it replaced at the Apple Store on Tuesday. (That's why the more expensive MagSafe laptop adapters are completely off-limits.)
Even though Mophie's original Bevy bottle opener/iPod shuffle case is no longer sold, there are plenty of modern-day options to choose from, including the Opena case for both iPhone 4 and 5 models. Enjoy the weekend, and remember to charge responsibly -- always designate a sober friend to keep track of the iPads.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync