Hands-on with the Logitech Ultrathin Touch Mouse T631
There are some people who just won't use a trackpad, even when the pad is built into a laptop like your MacBook Pro or MacBook Air. For those folks, there are a lot of cheap USB and Bluetooth mice, but many of them are either designed primarily for use with Windows machines or -- in the case of Apple's own Magic Mouse -- somewhat bulky. Logitech has the perfect solution for those who love both laptops and mice in the new Ultrathin Touch Mouse T631 for Mac (US$69.99).
Apple's Magic Mouse weighs 3.8 ounces (107.7 grams), while the Ultrathin Touch Mouse weighs just 2.4 ounces (68 grams). The Ultrathin Touch Mouse is smaller in size than the Magic Mouse as well; while Apple's mouse is 4.5" long x 2.25" wide x .75" at its thickest point, the Logitech mouse is just 3.375" long x 2.31" wide x .625" at its thickest.
Like the Apple device, the Logitech Ultrathin Touch Mouse uses Bluetooth to connect to your Mac. But the Logitech mouse has the ability to be paired to two different Macs -- say, a work MacBook and a home iMac. To switch between the two, there's a simple toggle switch on the bottom of the mouse.
Rather than using disposable or rechargeable AA batteries like the Apple mouse, Logitech's rodent has a built-in rechargeable battery. There's a standard micro-USB port on the bottom for charging, and if you happen to run out of charge while working, Logitech says that just a minute of charging can give you up to an hour of mouse usage.
To get all of the features of the Magic Mouse's touch-sensitive surface, you must install Logitech's free Preference Manager app. That app provides right and middle clicks, swipe left/right to go between pages or full-screen apps, swipe up and down for scrolling, and more.
Looks-wise, the Ultrathin Touch Mouse is a nice match for any Mac. The sides are aluminum, while the top is white with a very discreet Logitech logo. There's also a tiny LED that flashes blue when pairing is underway, and turns green to indicate that power has been switched on.
How does it feel? Well, Apple's Magic Mouse has a pretty good feel and is designed to fit an average-sized hand. Your entire hand takes part in moving it around. With the Ultrathin Touch Mouse, just the fingers on your "mouse hand" are involved in moving the mouse around. For me it took just a few moments to get used to the feel of the Ultrathin Touch Mouse.
The Logitech Ultrathin Touch Mouse T631 is perfect for any Mac user and especially for those who want a compact and lightweight Bluetooth mouse that they can toss into a bag alongside a MacBook.
- Very lightweight and streamlined design
- Provides a very positive click response
- Built-in rechargeable battery; no need to swap out batteries
- Can be paired to two different Macs with easy switching between devices
- Has a number of surface touch gestures that it responds to, all controlled by the Logitech Preference Manager app
- Just a buck more expensive than Apple's Magic Mouse
- Might be "too small" for those who are used to the larger Apple Magic Mouse
Who is it for?
- Anyone who has a Mac or two and would like a compact, rechargeable Bluetooth mouse with a touch surface
Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before October 3, 2013 11:59PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected and will receive a Logitech Ultrathin Touch Mouse T631 valued at $69.99
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)