Satechi makes world travel easier with Smart Travel Router and Adapter
As a bona fide world traveler (yeah, I know -- only 50 countries so far), I love to see new products that make life easier for gadget-toting travelers. Now Satechi has come out with a multi-tasker that should find its way into a lot of gizmo bags. The Smart Travel Router and Adapter (US$44.99 introductory price) is a mashup of that staple of international travel -- the plug adapter -- and a WiFi router.
The charger / adapter works in more than 150 countries. It's a plug adapter, so there's no voltage / frequency conversion, but most modern electronics chargers work equally well on 220V / 50Hz and 120V / 60Hz systems. This gives you one AC power port and a 2.1A USB port that can be used simultaneously to charge a couple of devices.
The travel router is really useful, creating an IEEE 802.11b/g/n wireless network from an Ethernet connection. There are four router modes available, allowing everything from traditional secure router functions to acting as a network extender.
The Smart Travel Router and Adapter is available for purchase from Satechi's website and Amazon.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter