Belkin Express Dock for iPad: Review and giveaway
Belkin continues to roll out an impressive array of Apple accessories, with the new US$59.99 Express Dock for iPad (and any other device with a Lightning connector) being the latest in a series of new products.
The Express Dock comes with a 4-foot USB cable and is primarily designed for use with a Lightning-equipped iPad. Made out of a good chunk of aluminum that weighs about 13.1 ounces (371.4 gm), the Express Dock is not going to tip over when you pop on iPad onto it for recharging. There's also a rubberized material on the bottom of the dock to prevent it from sliding.
The most useful feature of the Express Dock is a dial located on the back of the dock that provides a way to extend or retract the Lightning adapter so that it works with just about any case. There are iPhone cases (the Twelve South HiRise is an example) that have the ability to be adjusted during setup, but not "on the fly" -- and so far, this is the only adjustable iPad dock I'm aware of.
Since the Lightning adapter and cable are built into the Express Dock, there's no need for you to use one of your own or buy another for use with the dock. The Express Dock is tilted at a nice angle for reading, perfect for those situations where you're reading an iBook and want something to hold and charge your iPad.
The Express Dock base is a rounded square about 3.25 inches (8.26 cm) on a side, making it a bit of overkill for an iPhone 5/5c/5s or iPod touch (fifth-generation). For those smaller devices, Belkin makes a less expensive ($39.99) and more colorful (six colors) dock called the MIXIT ChargeSync Dock
Belkin has designed and built a very useful charge and sync dock for any Lightning-equipped iPad or iPad mini.
- Very well-built and sturdy.
- Weight of the base means that the dock is stable even when a full-sized iPad in a case is placed onto it.
- Four-foot cable is nice as it allows users to get a bit of space between their computer (or wall outlet) and the iPad.
- Lightning adapter vertical adjustment allows the Express Dock to work with just about any iPad case.
Who is it for?
- Any person with an iPad (fourth generation) or iPad mini who would like a stable and sturdy charging and sync dock.
Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before October 18, 2013 11:59PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected and will receive a Belkin Express Dock for iPad valued at US$59.99
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle
- FlightTrack 5: new look and features just in time for holiday travel
- HBO Go for iOS update adds Google Chromecast support
- Haiku Deck updates iPad app, launches web-based cloud version
- Weather Underground iPhone app gets crowdsourced weather, iOS 7 style
- Apple updates iMovie, adds support for older Macs