Pelican ProGear 1070CC HardBack Case: Ultimate protection for your MacBook Air
Pelican has been making amazing hard-side cases for quite a while, creating some of the favorite shipping cases for cameras, firearms, servers and other items that owners want to have softly cradled in foam while protected with a hard shell. Recently, the company launched the ProGear 1070CC HardBack Case (US$85.00) for 13" Ultrabooks, which of course fits the 13" and 11" MacBook Air. Read on for details about this protective case, then enter for a chance to win one courtesy of Pelican Products and TUAW.
The ProGear HardBack Case is built tough. The design? Well, it's not going to appeal to everyone. If you're in an executive office, a nice leather case or bag for your MacBook Air is going to do just fine. But if you're the type who needs a laptop case that you can throw into the back of a pickup truck or take on a oceanographic or mountaineering expedition, then this case is perfect for you.
The outside of the case is built of the same ultra-tough material that Pelican uses for their other cases, and I know for a fact that this material can hold up. I used to do training for a company that shipped PC projectors in Pelican cases, and I saw these cases get dropped, fall off of baggage carts, even get bumped by cars. The outside of the cases were beat up, but the gear inside was never damaged.
The bottom of the case has four non-slip rubber feet to keep it from sliding on hard surfaces like wet boat decks, and there are a pair of hefty hinges on the back that allow the top of the case to lay flat if desired. On the front is a latch that keeps the case closed in transit, and there's even spot to put a padlock if you really want to keep your MacBook Air safe.
On the inside of the case is a foam insert that's designed to cradle a 13" (or 11") MacBook Air or other "ultrabook" type computer. To ensure that the MacBook Air doesn't slide around, there are four small foam bumper pads that keep it in place.
Like most Pelican cases, the ProGear 1070CC Hardback Case is watertight and crushproof. By watertight, the company states that the contents can be submerged in up to 1 meter of water for up to 30 minutes. There's a pressure relief valve built in for equalizing pressure between the inside and outside of the case, which could be useful in aeronautical or extreme mountaineering situations.
The case also comes with a rugged, padded shoulder strap for carrying. In terms of dimensions, the outside of the case measures 15.29" x 11.96" x 1.60" (38.8 x 30.4 x 4.1 cm). Inside dimensions are 12.80" x 8.95" x 0.72" (32.5 x 22.7 x 1.8 cm). It's not a lightweight at 2.8 pounds (1.27 kg), but you'll be happy for the protection it offers.
If you need extreme protection for a MacBook Air, then the Pelican ProGear 1070CC HardBack Case is the ultimate crushproof, watertight, and impact resistant case to get.
- Incredibly durable
- Can stay submerged in 1 meter of water for up to 30 minutes
- Perfect for both the 13" and 11" MacBook Air models
- Lifetime guarantee
- Case can accept a lock for true security
- Extremely reasonable price for a case you'll never need to replace
- Rather plain looking, and definitely not stylish
Who is it for?
- Anyone whose workplace is outside an office and who needs complete protection of his or her MacBook Air.
Some lucky TUAW reader is going to be sliding his or her MacBook Air into this Pelican ProGear 1070CC HardBack Case in a little over a week.
Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before October 23, 2013 11:59PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected and will receive a Pelican ProGear 1070CC HardBack Case for MacBook Air, valued at US$85.00
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)