Designed by m's CURB: The minimal MacBook stand
A while back, we introduced TUAW readers to the CURB (US$16.99), a very minimalist stand for laptops that props the bottom of the device up off of a surface to allow air to circulate underneath. While I half-jokingly said that one could just as easily cut a $1 foam pool noodle to shape to perform the same task, there's no denying that this is a rather cool (no pun intended) product. It's now available, and here's a quick review -- and giveaway.
The CURB is a triangle shaped bar that is placed under the back bottom part of your MacBook (or any notebook computer, actually) to prop it up about three-quarters of an inch or an inch, depending on which side you place on the desk. It's made out of food-grade silicone so it has a good amount of flexibility, and it won't slide on a desk or similar surface. There's a little notch cut in the middle of the CURB that you're supposed to drape your AC adapter cord through, presumably to keep it from sliding off onto the floor when you unplug it from your Mac. My thought on that? Since all MacBooks in recent history have their plug on the left side, why not put a slimmer notch into the end of the CURB that you can squeeze the AC adapter cord through? And that notch? It doesn't work when the CURB is in the "low" position. But I digress...
The CURB comes in a bunch of colors: white, dark gray, light gray, pink, black, blue, lime, what they refer to as "believer green" and -- for a limited time only -- glow in the dark! It's functional; it's easy to throw into a computer bag; and it even works pretty well with an iPad.
If you have a MacBook that has a tendency to overheat and go into full-fan mode, the CURB is a simple and portable way to give it a cooling breath of fresh air.
- Lightweight, portable and doesn't take up a lot of room in your computer bag
- Nonslip material keeps CURB -- and your MacBook -- from moving
- A bit expensive for a piece of silicone
- The "cable notch" doesn't work in certain orientations
Who is it for?
- Anyone who has issues with an overheating MacBook
Want a nice blue CURB for your MacBook? We're giving one away courtesy of Designed by m.
Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before October 25, 2013 11:59PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected and will receive a CURB valued at $16.99
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features