Long-awaited Mac Pro gets pricing and availability
Apple's highly anticipated Mac Pro has been advertised on the Apple website as "Coming later this year" for months. A sneak peek appeared at WWDC in June, and today's Apple event ended the mystery.
The Mac Pro will have an Intel Xeon E5 chip with up to 12 cores. There's no hard drive option; it uses SSD drives instead. It's kitted out with a PCI Express generation 3 bus, USB 3.0, Thunderbolt 2, HDMI 1.4, Gigabit Ethernet and Bluetooth 4.0. The form factor is completely unique for an Apple product or any other workstation for that matter. The new Mac Pro is one-eighth the volume of the current model.
The new Mac Pro starts at US$2,999, much cheaper than some were predicting. Apple says it will be available in December. This computer is really going to excite video and photo professionals, and will also find its way into many semi-pro setups as well.
Apple's highly anticipated Mac Pro has been advertised on the Apple website as "Coming later this year" for months. A sneak peek appeared...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle
- FlightTrack 5: new look and features just in time for holiday travel
- HBO Go for iOS update adds Google Chromecast support
- Haiku Deck updates iPad app, launches web-based cloud version
- Weather Underground iPhone app gets crowdsourced weather, iOS 7 style
- Apple updates iMovie, adds support for older Macs