Long-awaited Mac Pro gets pricing and availability
Apple's highly anticipated Mac Pro has been advertised on the Apple website as "Coming later this year" for months. A sneak peek appeared at WWDC in June, and today's Apple event ended the mystery.
The Mac Pro will have an Intel Xeon E5 chip with up to 12 cores. There's no hard drive option; it uses SSD drives instead. It's kitted out with a PCI Express generation 3 bus, USB 3.0, Thunderbolt 2, HDMI 1.4, Gigabit Ethernet and Bluetooth 4.0. The form factor is completely unique for an Apple product or any other workstation for that matter. The new Mac Pro is one-eighth the volume of the current model.
The new Mac Pro starts at US$2,999, much cheaper than some were predicting. Apple says it will be available in December. This computer is really going to excite video and photo professionals, and will also find its way into many semi-pro setups as well.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter