Digital Treasures ChargeIt! charges all of your Apple devices ... and more
Like my Food Network hero Alton Brown, I'm a real fan of multitaskers; those devices that can be used for more than one purpose. In this review, I'll take a look at the new ChargeIt! 3600 mAh Power Bank (US$49.95), which definitely fits the description of a multitasker.
The idea behind the ChargeIt! is that you have one small convenient package that contains everything that you need to keep the devices in your life charged up. As such, the ChargeIt! 3600 mAh Power Bank includes a 3600 mAh battery pack and a variety of cables -- a USB cable, a 30-pin Dock Connector cable, a Lightning cable, and a micro-USB cable -- all in one mouse-sized package. With that plethora of thin cable happiness, it can provide power to any new or old iPhone, iPad or iPod touch or even those odd micro-USB devices you have hanging around.
The ChargeIt! even looks like a mouse, with curved edges that will keep it from getting snagged on anything in a purse, backpack or bag. It weighs just 4.4 ounces (124.7 grams), so it won't weigh you down.
Under a cross-shaped door on top of the ChargeIt! that conveniently swivels out of the way are the cables, an On/Off switch, and a set of five light blue LEDs that indicate how much of a charge you have. Note that to charge the battery, you're going to need to plug the ChargeIt into a USB port or AC adapter.
The cables are quite short -- only about three-quarters of an inch (2 cm) long. If there's one thing I wish they had done with these cables is to make them extendable using some sort of retractor mechanism. But there is an advantage to those stubby cables, as there are no long cables to get tangled and it's simple to pop the cable ends (the adapters) right into their respective slots for storage.
Now, 3600 mAh isn't a very large battery pack. However, your iPhone 5s (you do have one, don't you?) uses a 1560 mAh battery, so you'd be able to recharge it a little over two times before needing to recharge the ChargeIt! However, it's only able to charge an iPad Air (8820 mAh battery) about 40 percent of the way to full, or an iPad mini with Retina display (6471 mAh) a little over halfway.
So the ChargeIt! is probably better off as an emergency charging companion for your iPhone or iPod touch than it is for an iPad. Thanks to the micro-USB connector, you'll also be able to lend a helping hand to your Android phone-owning friends.
The Digital Treasures ChargeIt! 3600 mAh Power Bank is a standout charger/battery pack featuring just about every cable you'll need to keep your devices powered up. It's nicely designed so that all cables are tucked out of the way when it's not being used, perfect to toss into a purse or bag, and has enough power to keep your iPhone going for a long, long time.
- Lightweight and not too big
- Curved edges and snap-tight door keep it from snagging in a bag
- Features Lightning, 30-pin Dock Connector, and micro-USB cables to cover just about every device
- 3600 mAh battery pack is sufficient to keep an iPhone powered for days
- Reasonably priced
- Cables are a bit short
Who is it for?
- Anyone who needs extra power on the go, and everyone who is looking for the perfect stocking-stuffer for that special person on their holiday shopping list
The ChargeIt! is so useful that we want one of our TUAW readers to have it at hand for those emergency charging needs.
Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before November 17, 2013 11:59PM Eastern Standard Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected and will receive a Digital Treasures ChargeIt! 3600 mAh Power Bank valued at $49.95
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)