Kensington Proximo Fob Phone and Key Finder
Last week I reviewed the nio Tag, a small, clip-on Bluetooth 4.0 tag that works in tandem with an iPhone app to keep you from losing whatever is tagged or the iPhone itself. Whenever the two devices are more than a certain distance away from each other, an alarm sounds to warn you that you're about to lose something. Well, there are a few manufacturers making similar tags, and the latest is the US$39.99 Proximo Fob Phone and Key Finder from accessory vendor Kensington. Read on to see how it compares with the nio Tag.
To start with, the Proximo is designed as a key fob. It has a metal loop on one end that slides onto any keyring. The device itself is a black plastic, flattened-pill shape with a button on one side, covered with an attractive pattern. After removing the Proximo from the box, you use a tiny, included magnetic screwdriver to open the back and drop in a provided CR2032 battery that will last for about six months. Replace the screw and you're ready to roll.
Next, you download the free Proximo app from the App Store. Note that the device requires Bluetooth 4.0, so it works only with the iPhone 4s and iPhone 5 series. I have to admit that I was impressed by the Proximo app -- it's easy to navigate and includes full and understandable video tutorials. There's a way to change the melody played by the Proximo, as well as the alarm sound that plays on the iPhone when you walk away from your keys or other valuables.
Should you drop your keys somewhere, a helpful "Last Seen" feature displays a map showing the last place you were when the fob and app were in contact.
The Proximo fob weighs just 0.4 ounce (11.3 grams), so it's not going to weigh you down very much, and it will certainly keep you from losing either your keys or your phone. Kensington has done a very good job of making the Proximo system easy to use, and sells the fobs and a less-expensive Proximo tag ($24.99) to place on backpacks, bags or anything else you'd rather have close at hand all the time.
Kensington brings a wealth of accessory-manufacturing experience to the Proximo Fob Phone and Key Finder, a compact, inexpensive and easy-to-use Bluetooth system to make sure that you don't lose your iPhone or your keys. With additional Proximo fobs or tags, it's simple for iPhone users to keep tabs on all of their valuables.
- Excellent app with video tutorials, easy to add other fobs or tags to the app for tracking
- Loud, but not totally obnoxious alarms
- Device is designed to be connected to a keyring
- Inexpensive compared to the $70 nio Tag
- $0.99 in-app purchase for a custom alarm melody composer
- Battery is easily replaced and long-lasting, level is tracked from app
Who is it for?
- Anyone with a tendency to misplace keys or iPhones
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)