USB Disk Pro makes moving files between your Mac and iOS easy
USB Disk Pro (on sale for US$0.99 this weekend) lets you store, manage and view documents and move them between your Mac and your iOS device. The app has an extensive feature set, and you can get complete details at the App Store.
I'll hit some of the highlights:
- View and download email attachments
- Easily transfer files via USB or a WiFi network
- Support for Dropbox, Google Drive, SkyDrive, Evernote
- Support for reading PDF files, MS Office docs, iWork docs, most image formats, many audio and video formats
- Multiple document viewing
I gave the app a try, hooking my iPad to my Mac with a USB cable. I opened iTunes and selected USB Disk Pro as the sharing app. I then could access any file on my Mac, and easily transfer it to USB Disk Pro. I tried some moving some photos from my Mac to the iPad, and they instantly showed up on my iPad screen (running USB Disk Pro, of course). I then saved the photos to my camera roll. Documents, audio files and other file types are also easily moved.
This latest version of the app supports annotation of PDF files, works with AirPrint, and it's iOS 7 ready.
The app is on sale for the weekend at $0.99, after which it goes back to $4.99. One negative, there are separate versions for the iPad and the iPhone -- I think the app should be universal.
If you are looking for something similar for free, check out File Manager. It doesn't have the same feature set as USB Disk Pro, but works well within its limitations.
USB Disk Pro requires iOS 5 or later, and is optimized for the iPhone 5. It supports just about every type of file that can be used on the iPad. Help is built in, and navigation is easy.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features