Realmac introduces free Ember app for iOS
Back in August of 2013, TUAW Editor-in-Chief Victor Agreda, Jr. wrote a detailed review of Ember (US$49.99), an OS X web clipping and digital scrapbooking app from Realmac Software. Victor found Ember to be "nearly perfect for me" in his review, but he might be improving his outlook to "perfect" after today's release of a free Ember companion app for iOS.
TUAW will have a full review of the app within a few days, but here's what you need to know about the universal application. It's designed to work best on an iPad or iPhone that is using iCloud syncing. The idea is to take photos or screenshots of things you wish to "collect." They're then added to collections and synced to all of your iCloud devices instantly.
Ember for iOS lets you add tags to your images, then combine them in collections of related things for future reference. As with the desktop app, Ember for iOS provides a number of ways to share items in your collections immediately through AirDrop, Messages, Mail, Twitter and Facebook.
Realmac says right up front that the app will be gaining additional features -- like annotation -- on an in-app purchase basis, but plans to keep the basic functionality available for free.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync