Apple's desktops overtake Dell as most sought-after PC for the holidays
Marketing research firm Parks Associates has released its annual survey of top consumer electronics that are planned for holiday purchases and, for the first time ever, Apple's desktops have overtaken Dell to be the most sought-after PCs for the holiday shopping season:
"Apple topped the list of intended brands for desktop purchases for the first time this year," said John Barrett, director, Consumer Analytics, Parks Associates. "In 2011 and 2012, Dell was the top desktop brand, but Apple has displaced it, making Apple now the most popular brand across even more key CE categories."
The 2013 Holiday CE Purchase Intentions gathered its data from a nationwide survey of 2,500 US broadband households in the fourth quarter of 2013. Though the survey doesn't differentiate between types of desktop computers, it's reasonable to assume that it's the new iMac -- and not the new Mac Pro -- that is appealing to consumers this holiday and the reason Apple has overtaken Dell for the first time.
Apple also beat out others in two more important categories. The iPad topped the Kindle for the most sought-after tablet, and the Apple TV beat the Roku for the top media-streaming device.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync