Here's how to check your Apple TV's Netflix bandwidth using a hidden built-in tool
Having problems with Netflix on Apple TV, or simply want to know how much bandwidth is available to your on-demand movie portal? Well lucky for you: There's a built-in video quality tool that you can use to see exactly how many kilobits per second your Apple TV is dedicating to the content you're streaming.
You can access this nifty feature by searching for the video titled "Example Short 23.976" on the Netflix search bar. Select "Play" and once the stream loads, a real-time reading of your bandwidth will be displayed on the screen.
You can also test the performance of other Netflix-capable devices using this same tool, but the neat thing about the Apple TV version is that rather than simply showing the different video-quality levels as it does on the iPad, iPhone or web browser, it displays the actual bandwidth you're using. Handy!
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync