Apple.com, Mac App Store celebrates 30 years of the Mac, and more news for January 24
Today marks the 30th anniversary of the Mac and Apple is out in force promoting it. Tim Cook will be appearing on ABC's World News with Diane Sawyer later tonight for an exclusive interview and now the company has also revamped its homepage in celebration of the anniversary. However, more than just redoing its homepage for today, Apple has also created a special section on its website detailing the 30-year history of the Mac.
Users can watch a video about the Mac's history, browse a year-by-year timeline of the major advances in the Mac and even take part in an interactive chart by telling Apple what your first Mac was, how you discovered it and what you used it for.
In addition to the celebrations on Apple.com, Apple also has a special "Happy birthday, Mac" section set up on the Mac App Store spotlighting a special selection of apps and games that captures the spirit of what makes the Mac so extraordinary.
In other news:
- Apple has silently discontinued the Keynote Remote app. New remote functionality was added to the latest version of Keynote for iOS yesterday, so Apple decided to pull the old dedicated app. This isn't a surprise as Keynote Remote had not been updated to reflect iOS 7's new design aesthetic.
- This week's free App of the Week is Disney's Where's My Mickey? The app is a physics-based puzzler with simulated weather mechanics done in a style of classic Disney animation from the 1920s.
- Samsung announced yesterday it missed earnings estimates by a large margin. The earnings miss is due in part to the popularity of the iPhone 5c and 5s and increasing competition from other Asian vendors that make low-end Android phones.
- Carl Icahn scooped up another US$500 million worth of Apple stock yesterday. He tweeted the news just days after he made the world aware he had purchased an additional half a billion dollars in Apple stock just a few weeks ago. He now owns $3.6 billion in AAPL shares and called AAPL's value a "no brainer."
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app