Kanex GoPower Pack: Review and giveaway
TUAW reviews a lot of external battery packs, so it takes something new and interesting to get me excited. That "new and interesting" recently arrived in the form of a press release from accessory manufacturer Kanex touting the company's new line of external battery packs. The Kanex GoPower Pack (6,000 mAh for US$49.95, 13,000 mAh for $69.95) offers power to spare, dual ports, and even a built-in smartphone stand, all while providing the quality that Kanex is known for.
- Dimensions: 6,000 mAh - 2.46 x 4.13 x .96 inches (62.4 x 105 x 24.2 mm); 13,000 mAh - 2.46 x 5.44 x .89 inches (62.4 x 138.2 x 22.6 mm)
- Weight: 6,000 mAh - .3929 lb (178.6 grams); 13,000 mAh - .6174 lb (280.66 grams)
- Input voltage and connector: DC 5V, micro-USB (included)
- Output voltage and connector: DC 5.3V, USB (cables not provided), one port at 1.0A, the other at 2.1A
- Ability to charge iPhone: 6,000 mAh can charge an iPhone 5c/5s twice, 13,000 mAh can charge it four times
- Carrying case provided
Both units are made of white and light gray polycarbonate, with the ports and a set of LEDs on one end and a slide out "tray" on the side. That tray is actually a clever stand for your iPhone -- pull it out and place the side of your iPhone in the tray, and it is held up in a viewable position by the GoPower Pack.
That's about it -- the GoPower Pack does come with a nice little carrying bag that can be used for wiping off your iPad or iPhone screen, as well as the USB to micro-USB cable that you'll want to pop in the bag for charging your pack. You will need to supply your own USB to Lightning or 30-pin connector cable.
Not a lot to say about functionality, other than -- these packs work! I like the way that the little iPhone stand works, adding some addition capability to what would otherwise be a rather mundane battery pack product. In particular, the 11,000 mAh GoPower Pack really has a lot going for it; the extra capacity means that you could easily plug in your iPad and iPhone and at least extend their usable battery life, although you won't be able to totally charge up both.
Kanex makes some great products, and the GoPower Pack line provides iPhone and iPad users with another source for a high-quality, reasonably-priced external battery pack.
Rating: 3 stars out of 4 stars possible
Two readers are going to have a chance to win one of the Kanex GoPower Packs we had on hand for our review. One will receive the 6,000 mAh GoPower Pack, while the other gets the 11,000 mAh model. Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before May 18, 2014 11:59PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- You may enter only once.
- Two winners will be selected in a random drawing. One will receive a 6,000 mAh Kanex GoPower Pack valued at $49.95, while the other receives a 11,000 mAh GoPower Pack valued at $69.95
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration