Scosche boomBOTTLE H2O waterproof Bluetooth speaker perfect for summer fun
Summer is almost here, which means days at the beaches or by the lake listening to all of your favorite tunes. And you want to share that music with friends, right? Schosche has introduced the boomBOTTLE H2O waterproof Bluetooth speaker (US$99.99), and one lucky TUAW reader will win this speaker just in time for summer fun.
- Dimensions: 2.87 inches in diameter x 4.5 inches tall (72.9 mm diam. x 114.3 mm)
- Weight: 10.6 ounces (300 grams)
- Waterproof up to 30 minutes in one meter of water
- Ports: micro-USB for charging, AUX-in
- Colors: Gray, Yellow, Blue
The cylindrical shape of the boomBOTTLE H2O is designed to fit perfectly in most bike bottle holders, although as TUAW writer Erica Sadun found out with an earlier model, you might incur the wrath of other bikers if you cruise the local paths while pounding out tunes.
The boomBOTTLE H2O is so named because of its waterproof abilities. You can dunk it underwater for up to 30 minutes, and the device even floats. There are three switches on it: a power/pairing switch and a pair of volume switches. On the back of the speaker is a tiny waterproof door hiding a micro-USB port as well as a jack for connecting non-Bluetooth devices.
The entire speaker is wrapped in a tough rubberized material, and it has some ridging to make it easier to grab onto when wet. All-in-all, the boomBOTTLE H2O is well-designed in terms of being able to take abuse.
While I was impressed with the toughness of the boomBOTTLE H2O, I didn't find its sound quality to be all that great -- at least indoors. Oddly enough, when I took the speaker outside, it sounded better to me than when it was sitting on my desk. It's about half the price of some competing speakers like the Jawbone Mini Jambox and Beats Pill.
While the boomBOTTLE H2O makes a great rough and tumble outdoor speaker, the sound just reminded me of an AM -- lacking depth and bass. It's fine on the high end, which is somewhat expected given the size (50 mm) of the one speaker.
One other caveat. If you need a speaker that can also act as a speakerphone, this isn't going to do the job for you. It will last for about 8 hours on a single charge, which is pretty darned good.
On the plus side of the equation, the Scosche boomBOTTLE H2O is a very tough waterproof speaker that can take a lot of abuse and play all day. On the negative side, the sound -- albeit quite loud -- is somewhat tinny and lacks bass punch, and the device can't be used as a speakerphone.
Rating: 2-1/2 stars out of 4 stars possible
Get ready for tunes by the pool, TUAW readers! We're giving away a Scosche boomBOTTLE H2O, and all you have to do is fill out the form below to enter. Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before May 20, 2014 11:59PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected in a random drawing and will receive a Scosche boomBOTTLE H2O valued at $99.99.
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration