Kenu Airframe+ now case-friendly, designed for the future
A little over a year ago, TUAW reviewed the Kenu Airframe, a tiny but very effective air vent mount for the iPhone. Today, Kenu made the Airframe future-proof by announcing the larger Airframe+ (US$29.95).
What do I mean by future-proof? Well, according to the rumor mill, the as-yet-unannounced iPhone 6 may come in a "phablet" size with a much larger screen. That means that the existing Airframe, which is designed to hold an iPhone 5s and can expand just a little bit for larger phones and phablets, probably wouldn't work.
The Airframe+ attaches to any car air vent easily, and holds your phone very securely. How do I know that? I've had an Airframe in my car since May of 2013, it works fine, and it has never failed to keep my iPhone in one place.
The new design expands to fit up to a 6-inch screen, currently the size of the Nokia Lumia 1520 (seen below). It's also very compatible with ruggedized or battery cases, specifically the Mophie battery cases and Otterbox Defender.
One of my favorite features of the existing Airframe is still available with the Airframe+ -- if you remove the device from your car and slip a credit card into the gap on the vent clip as seen in the image at the top of this post, you have an instant stand for holding an iPhone in landscape orientation. Watching movies on your iPhone has never been easier!
I tried out the Airframe+ with my iPhone 5s in a Mophie Juice Pack Helium battery case, and it worked beautifully. I have no doubt that it will work with the next-generation iPhone, regardless of the display size on that device.
Kenu has updated and revised the popular Airframe air vent mount for iPhone by giving it a more expandable jaw and the ability to work with bigger, deeper cases. My only complaint at this time is that it's still somewhat expensive at $30, when other air vent mounts can be had for less than $10.
Rating: 3-1/2 stars out of 4 stars possible
You can be one of the first people to own a Kenu Airframe+, and you'll certainly be ready for whatever new iPhone Apple happens to release this fall. Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before July 25, 2014 11:59PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected in a random drawing and will receive a Kenu Airframe+ valued at $29.95
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features