Felix FlipBook Air is a delightfully different iPad case/stand
So many of the iPad cases and stands that I review here at TUAW are so alike in looks and functionality that it's hard to get excited about them. When something different shows up, I definitely take notice. That's the situation with the Felix FlipBook Air (US$59.99), a very book-like iPad case that shows off its versatility by being able to prop up your iPad Air at any of ten different viewing angles. Let's take a look, then be sure to enter our giveaway.
- Dimensions: 9.5 x 7 x .65 inches (241.3 x 177.8 x 16.5 mm)
- Weight: 8.6 ounces (243.8 grams)
- Colors: Black, Tan
The FlipBook Air brings to mind any number of book-like iPad cases, from DODOCase's original to the perfected craftsmanship of the cases from Pad & Quill. But the FlipBook Air is completely different in that it doesn't require a wood frame to hold the iPad Air in place, so it's lighter and thinner than the competition.
The leather-like cover of the FlipBook Air is flexible and folds back behind your iPad easily to get out of the way. The "spine" of the "book" is has magnets that grab onto the iPad air and hold it securely into place, but let you remove the iPad when needed. It's probably one of the easiest iPad Air cases to install a tablet into, since there's no need to squeeze it into a silicone or wood frame.
When it's time to watch something on your iPad Air or use it, the FlipBook Air magically adjusts to ten different angles with the iPad being held up by a prop that slides into horizontal slots in the back cover. It works very well, and as a result the FlipBook Air is one of the most adjustable cases I've seen.
I found nothing to dislike about the FlipBook Air. While it's not a super-protective case, it does ensure that the front and back of your device won't get scratched or dinged while in transit. When you begin to use the FlipBook Air, you begin to appreciate just how simplicity of design makes this an excellent case. It just gets out of the way, with the front cover folding easily under the back.
The stand feature also works intuitively and easily, letting you adjust the angle of your iPad Air through a wide range. Installation and removal of the case is as simple as sliding the iPad Air in and out of the "spine." As with most iPad Air cases and covers, the FlipBook Air will wake and sleep your tablet as you open and close the front cover.
I absolutely love the minimalism of design and the maximization of functionality that the Felix FlipBook Air provides. My only gripe is the price point, which seems a bit excessive considering that a Pad & Quill Walden case made with bonded leather sells for $10 less and comes in a choice of finishes. On the other hand, the FlipBook Air is much more functional. It's up to you to decide if that functionality is worth the extra bucks.
Rating: 3-1/2 stars out of 4 stars possible
TUAW and Felix are teaming up to give one TUAW reader a Felix FlipBook Air. Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before July 27, 2014 11:59PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected in a random drawing and will receive a Felix FlipBook Air valued at $59.99
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature