Loop Attachment Straitjacket case: Thin, lightweight protection
Chicago-based Loop Attachment has made a name for itself with inexpensive and versatile cases for Apple products. Their Mummy line has been around for a while, offering wraparound silicone cushioning in an innovative "mummy wrap" design that makes it simple to slip a credit card and drivers's license into the back of the case. Now the company has introduced the Straitjacket (US$34.95), a two-tone case that looks sleeker but still offers the same great protection of the Mummy. Readers have a chance to win a Straitjacket or a Mummy in our giveaway!
- Weight: 0.5 ounce (14.17 grams)
- Material: Silicone and plastic
- Colors: Black/Gray, Blue/Black, Red/Black, White/Gray, White/Mint
I've always had a soft spot for the unique design of the Mummy, and the Straitjacket actually ups the ante in looks. It's available in five two-tone combinations, with the hard, smooth plastic being one color and the silicone another.
The new design features silicone inserts in the corners to protect the iPhone from corner drops, with hard plastic all the rest of the way around. The volume rocker and sleep/wake button are pass-through buttons, while all other switches and ports are wide open.
What I really like about the Straitjacket is just how light it is! For anyone desiring protection for their iPhone 5/5s with a minimum of bulk and weight, this is your case.
Since I test a lot of cases, one of my criteria for determining right off the bat whether I like it or not is how difficult it is to install an iPhone and then remove the case. My iPhone 5s slipped right into the case, where it was held securely by the plastic bezel. The White/Gray Straitjacket looks great on a gold iPhone 5s.
My only concern is that the glossy plastic is a bit more slick to the touch than silicone. When a few credit cards are stuck in the back of the case, you get the added benefit of having the silicone bands rub up against your palm, providing more grip. But if you go card-free, that grip is gone and the case is quite slick. I think it would have been a smart idea to have roughened the plastic surface with ridges.
The Loop Attachment Straitjacket iPhone 5/5s case is good-looking, lightweight, easy to install and remove, and offers good protection all around, but the new hard plastic shell makes the case easier to slip out of your hands. The price is very reasonable, and the ability to carry credit cards or ID by slipping them securely into the back straps is a plus.
Rating: 3-1/2 star rating out of 4 stars possible
Loop Attachment provided us with one each of their Mummy and Straitjacket cases, and we're giving away these fun and functional cases. Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before July 28, 2014 11:59PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- You may enter only once.
- Two winners will be selected in a random drawing. One will receive a Loop Attachment Straitjacket (white/gray) case valued at $34.95, and the other will receive a Loop Attachment Mummy (gray) valued at $24.95.
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter