Pixlr releases a powerful free desktop photo editor for Mac
Pixlr by Autodesk has built its reputation on providing high-powered photo editing online for free. While it offers advanced tools for a small yearly cost -- US$2 a month or $15 a year -- the basic online editor provides plenty of power for your average editing needs. Now the service is offering up a desktop app for Mac and, yes, it's free too.
You don't need to sign up for a free account to use the program, but creating one unlocks a few extra effects like double exposure. Pixlr isn't designed to replace Photoshop, but if you have photo editing needs like resizing, cropping, or adding simple filters to your work, you can't do better for the price.
The desktop version includes hundreds of different options, from crosshatch, halftone, or dapple effects to overlays, stickers, and borders. If you have a young child looking to get into photo editing, this is a great and inexpensive way to open that door.
Pixlr for Mac is available to download for free right here. Enjoy.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter