Pixlr releases a powerful free desktop photo editor for Mac
Pixlr by Autodesk has built its reputation on providing high-powered photo editing online for free. While it offers advanced tools for a small yearly cost -- US$2 a month or $15 a year -- the basic online editor provides plenty of power for your average editing needs. Now the service is offering up a desktop app for Mac and, yes, it's free too.
You don't need to sign up for a free account to use the program, but creating one unlocks a few extra effects like double exposure. Pixlr isn't designed to replace Photoshop, but if you have photo editing needs like resizing, cropping, or adding simple filters to your work, you can't do better for the price.
The desktop version includes hundreds of different options, from crosshatch, halftone, or dapple effects to overlays, stickers, and borders. If you have a young child looking to get into photo editing, this is a great and inexpensive way to open that door.
Pixlr for Mac is available to download for free right here. Enjoy.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features