Receive RSS feeds as SMS messages
TUAW reader digitalintrigue discovered a brilliant little hack to send RSS feed updates as SMS messages. He headed over to RSSfwd.com, subscribed to an RSS feed and sent the results over to his email@example.com SMS e-mail address. Now when his RSS feeds update, he gets an instant message on his iPhone.
If you've got a lot of SMS messages on your iPhone plan, this is a great way to keep up on your most important feeds without having to check your email all the time. If you have limited SMS messages, maybe not so good. Digitalintrigue reports that if the blog post has too many characters for a normal SMS, the iPhone formats the multiple SMS messages into a single large text bubble.
The hardest part of the process is actually confirming your subscription. My confirmation email/SMS split across many messages--8 in my case--and the URL was split as well. I had to type it in by hand. Once confirmed, the SMS updates worked without incident. Make sure to copy the unsubscribe URL after confirming and keep it on hand in case you decide to remove the feed at a later date.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free