Apple adds new mobile protocol handlers
I've now spent a good deal of time hunting and searching through the updated SpringBoard executable. Much of what I found is dull; some is useful. While hunting around during the adding-Apps-to-SpringBoard effort, I discovered a number of items that appeared to be new Safari-style protocol handlers.
These items were each listed near a host application, for example
com.apple.MobileStore. Not surprisingly, opening an
itms:// URL launches the iTunes mobile store. Here are the working protocols, both old and new
itms:// Launches Mobile iTMS store.
maps:// Launches Google Maps. (iPhone only)
feed://, feeds:// Launches dotMac reader
tel:// Dials a number, specified in the URL. (iPhone only)
mailto:// Launches the iPhone mail app. (iPhone only)
youtube:// Launches YouTube.
Other items that were listed but do not seem to work are: calshow://, callto://, vmshow://, prefs://, nowplaying://
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync