iTunes U tops 600 million downloads
Launched in 2007, iTunes U is an Apple service that lets teachers distribute classroom content to students easily over the Internet. It's available at over 1,000 universities in 123 countries.
In the four years since launch, the program can boast of 600 million downloads, with more than 300 million occurring in the last year. Unlike many online services that are US-centric, iTunes U is decidedly international with 60% of users residing outside the US.Among the participating schools, Open University and Stanford University are at the top of the download list with over 30 million downloads each. The bulk of the downloads are done on a desktop, but a growing percentage (30%) are gaining access to content from an iOS device.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)