iTunes U tops 600 million downloads
Launched in 2007, iTunes U is an Apple service that lets teachers distribute classroom content to students easily over the Internet. It's available at over 1,000 universities in 123 countries.
In the four years since launch, the program can boast of 600 million downloads, with more than 300 million occurring in the last year. Unlike many online services that are US-centric, iTunes U is decidedly international with 60% of users residing outside the US.Among the participating schools, Open University and Stanford University are at the top of the download list with over 30 million downloads each. The bulk of the downloads are done on a desktop, but a growing percentage (30%) are gaining access to content from an iOS device.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options