Keyboard tips and secrets in iOS
In iOS 7, the keyboard got a visual overhaul but kept most of its handy shortcuts. As pointed out by TechHive, there are several tips and hidden features (many that were also present in iOS 6) that'll make your typing time a little bit easier. (Note that only applications that are updated for iOS 7 will see the new design for the keyboard.)
The rundown of keyboard tips is pretty thorough, and there were some we hadn't noticed before. Most Twitter apps, for example, insert both the @ and # symbols so you can easily message someone or write a hashtag. The previously-available emoji and foreign keyboards are still there, if you turn them on in Settings. And the missing ".com" key for URL entries can be found by holding down the period in an appropriate field.
There are also a handful of hidden characters that are accessible by holding down a key on the keyboard. The one I use the most is the "..." that is available by long-holding the period key in non-URL fields.
You can check out the full list of shortcuts in the TechHive article. More tips on text entry in iOS:
- Steve's video tip on emoji and other keyboard settings
- Apple's tips and tricks guides for all three current iPhone models
- Setting up keyboard shortcuts in iOS, via our iPhone 101 series
- Automating text entry on iOS
- Getting Autocorrect to respect your colorful language (the "ducking iPhone" problem)
If you have a favorite iOS tip, be sure to let us know!
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter