Jobs fuming over RIAA attempts at music download price hike
File this in the “is anyone surprised” category: music labels are chatting with online retailers about raising
wholesale prices for digital music downloads, looking to capitalise on growing demand. The RIAA wants a bigger piece of
the pie, which we’re sure they’re going to, uh, give right back to the artists. Yeah.
Steve Jobs apparently expressed anger at the news, and with good reason: Apple reportedly has multiyear agreements with the record labels to preserve digital downloads at 99 cents per track. So what’s the game, here — are the labels planning to strong-arm the iTMS? What’s your take on this?
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options