Blast from the Past: Getting Started with the Newton
So how much ahead of its time was the 1993 Apple Newton? This video may give you a good idea. In a world where the Palm did not yet exist, where PocketPCs were still a dream, the Newton blazed the path that many other PDAs would follow. Handwriting recognition, transformation of sketches into high-quality graphics, device-to-device information beaming, and printing/fax capabilities were just some of the features that were built into the Newton. I still look back at the device and wonder what might have developed from it were it not rushed too fast to market, at the wrong price point, with unfinished and buggy software, especially when the world was just waiting for the right PDA. The right PDA turned out to be the 1996 Palm, with all its pseudo-handwriting Graffiti, lower price-point and less ambitious technology. What a pity.
So how much ahead of its time was the 1993 Apple Newton? This video may give you a good idea. In a world where the Palm did not yet...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free