iPhone 101: Will jailbreak unlock my iPhone?
You've heard about the one-touch jailbreak exploit. You think it's something you might want to try, but then you worry: what about iBricks? Will the jailbreak unlock my phone? Fear not. Jailbreaking reassigns the root of the iPhone's file tree. It in no way affects your iPhone's telephony functions or baseband/modem areas. Once jailbroken, you can run any of the unlocking applications but jailbreaking itself has nothing to do with unlocking. If you want to un-jailbreak, just restore your phone. It will not affect your upgrade path the way the older unlocks did.
And what about iPod touches? Will the next firmware upgrade turn it into a brick? Almost certainly not. And if you're worried, just restore your touch to a pristine state before you upgrade.
Thanks to everyone who wrote in to ask.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle
- FlightTrack 5: new look and features just in time for holiday travel
- HBO Go for iOS update adds Google Chromecast support
- Haiku Deck updates iPad app, launches web-based cloud version
- Weather Underground iPhone app gets crowdsourced weather, iOS 7 style
- Apple updates iMovie, adds support for older Macs