GameBoy App for iPhone released
A group of iPhone hackers has just released version 0.0.5 of gpSPhone. gpSPhone is a GameBoy Advanced emulator for iPhone. As with all first releases, it's still a bit on the iffy side. Although "many games are playable", sound output is pretty awful and the GUI and instructions are being worked on. If you feel like giving this a try, here are a few things you really need to know:
- You have to run it from /Applications. The programmers obviously hard coded search paths and the app just will not work from any other location.
- You need to supply your own BIOS. You can easily google for instructions on dumping your own gba_bios.bin. If you decide to download one instead, the correct MD5 for a working bios is a860e8c0b6d573d191e4ec7db1b1e4f6. Stick the bios file into the .app folder.
- You need to supply your own games. We happen to already own Hello Kitty Party in physical ROM form. So that's what I decided to test out.
- Playback is...early. I'm sure that playability will improve in future releases but for now, it's not really in the "fun" category; more "interesting because this may grow into something usable". Add your games to /var/root/Media/ROMs/GBA.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free