Convert movies and undercook eggs on the iPhone
iPhone hacker "core"'s latest version of ffmpeg will convert a wide range of video formats to iPhone-compatible formats.
If you decide to do this, be aware that it will take forever and run hot, and we still don't know how to change the clock rate to make it go faster. Make sure your iPhone is well ventilated and plugged into a power-source for the duration. Also run your conversion with nohup so that when the iPhone goes to sleep (because you know it will) it won't kill your conversion process like it did with mine.
So is there a point to converting videos on the relatively underpowered iPhone? Well, no, really there isn't. Sometimes it's just enough to know that you can.
Here's an example of the syntax:
ffmpeg -i AVI_DivX.avi -f mp4 test.mp4
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Remote Desktop update brings OS X Mavericks support and improved multi-display support
- Valve revamps Steam Mobile for iOS
- Google Drive iOS app finally lets you sort items and find and replace in documents
- Viber announces Viber Out calls for iOS, goes head to head with Skype
- Amazon Cloud Drive Photos gains video, iPad support
- Pandora Radio 5.1: Wake up to your favorite station