Convert movies and undercook eggs on the iPhone
iPhone hacker "core"'s latest version of ffmpeg will convert a wide range of video formats to iPhone-compatible formats.
If you decide to do this, be aware that it will take forever and run hot, and we still don't know how to change the clock rate to make it go faster. Make sure your iPhone is well ventilated and plugged into a power-source for the duration. Also run your conversion with nohup so that when the iPhone goes to sleep (because you know it will) it won't kill your conversion process like it did with mine.
So is there a point to converting videos on the relatively underpowered iPhone? Well, no, really there isn't. Sometimes it's just enough to know that you can.
Here's an example of the syntax:
ffmpeg -i AVI_DivX.avi -f mp4 test.mp4
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free