Want to buy an iPhone in Canada? Don't go to an Apple store (Updated)
AppleInsider is reporting that Apple won't be selling the iPhone 3G in its 6 Canadian retail stores this Friday. This seems to be confirmed by Apple Canada's 'Where to buy an iPhone' webpage which lists Rogers and Fido stores as the only locations to buy an iPhone (the same page in the States lists both Apple stores and AT&T stores) in Canada.
Is this a reaction to Rogers less than stellar iPhone rate plans? That doesn't seem to ring true to me, since it strikes me as unlikley that Apple was surprised by what Rogers planned to charge for iPhone plans. I'm sure it is only a matter of time before you'll be able to stroll into a Canadian Apple Store and plunk down your money for an iPhone 3G.
Update: I miscounted, there are 6 Apple stores in Canada.
Update 2: Looks like this is just a tempest in a teapot. After looking at the iPhone pages for countries where Apple has retails stores (UK, Japan, Italy, and Australia) it looks like you won't be able to buy an iPhone in any non-US Apple Stores. Everyone can stop freaking out now.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options
- Amazon Instant Video app now offers free, ad-supported TV episodes, new HBO shows