Downgrading 2.1 iPhones not as daunting as originally thought
If you've heard (as we had) that the journey to the beta 2.1 firmware for the iPhone is one-way only, TUAW reader Brian D. has some good news for you. He writes in to say that the journey back is not as impossible as once thought. "Users can downgrade merely by putting the iPhone into DFU mode, and restoring per usual in iTunes. Works like a charm. 2.1 stinks. Back to 2.0 and business as usual."
Brian's downgrade was done using an iPhone 3G. I haven't had a chance to test out the 2.1 firmware, but it's nice to know that upgrading is not a permanent decision.
Written by Erica Sadun
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle
- FlightTrack 5: new look and features just in time for holiday travel
- HBO Go for iOS update adds Google Chromecast support
- Haiku Deck updates iPad app, launches web-based cloud version
- Weather Underground iPhone app gets crowdsourced weather, iOS 7 style
- Apple updates iMovie, adds support for older Macs