Downgrading 2.1 iPhones not as daunting as originally thought
If you've heard (as we had) that the journey to the beta 2.1 firmware for the iPhone is one-way only, TUAW reader Brian D. has some good news for you. He writes in to say that the journey back is not as impossible as once thought. "Users can downgrade merely by putting the iPhone into DFU mode, and restoring per usual in iTunes. Works like a charm. 2.1 stinks. Back to 2.0 and business as usual."
Brian's downgrade was done using an iPhone 3G. I haven't had a chance to test out the 2.1 firmware, but it's nice to know that upgrading is not a permanent decision.
Written by Erica Sadun
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app