Apple: Over 300 million iPhone apps downloaded
Apple confirmed yesterday that over 300 million iPhone apps have been downloaded from the App Store, and also that the total number of available apps now tops 10,000. Rather than send out a press release, Apple chose to take out a pair of newspaper ads yesterday, one in the New York Times, the other in the Wall Street Journal.
This new milestone comes less than five months after the debut of the App Store on July 11, 2008, and less than two months after the October 21 announcement on the Q4 earnings call that 200 million apps had been downloaded. If this trend continues, we'll likely see app downloads reaching the 400 million mark by the time Steve takes the stage for the keynote at Macworld Expo.
It's time for a TUAW poll! When do you think Apple can hang out that "over 1 billion apps sold" sign?
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter