Online iPhone sales return to NYC
As Engadget is reporting, New York City residents can get back to buying their iPhones via AT&T's website after the strange outage that seemed to start yesterday kept them from doing so. It's been a rollercoaster of a story -- first we heard that they weren't being sold at all because of coverage issues, and then that was clarified to just online sales and only because of fraudulent online ordering. But as we predicted on the talkcast last night, AT&T didn't hold off on sales for long, and everything should be now back to normal.
Unfortunately, we never actually heard what the fraud was, but that's not too surprising -- if there was a way to defraud AT&T's ordering process, it's unlikely they'd shout it from the rooftops anyway. And it's also not likely that we'll never know how many customers were actually affected. NYC is a big city, but there's no way we'll see official numbers on how many people couldn't buy iPhones because of the steps taken the other night. Considering that iPhone sales are off the charts in most markets anyway, it's doubtful that online sales in NYC missing for a day or two would make a dent in the numbers.
In other words, nothing to see here. But just in case you were in NYC and trying desperately to buy an iPhone via the AT&T site last night, you can now go to it.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter