Best Buy to carry iPad on April 3 at ASC-stores only
MacRumors is reporting that Best Buy will be carrying the WiFi iPad at launch on April 3rd. The iPad won't be available at all Best Buy's, however. Only Best Buys with badged Apple Solutions Consultants (ASC) and "Apple Shops" will be carrying the iPads -- that's about 675 stores total. MacRumors reports that Best Buy is listing four SKUs for the iPad and notes that the fourth one may be for one of the 3G models due to launch later in the month. Best Buy stores will not be opening early on launch day and bestbuy.com will not be carrying the iPad.
The ASC program was launched in 2001. It placed Apple employees in a handful of CompUSA stores in Texas and Southern California. In the years following, the ASC program grew to over 200 CompUSA stores. During that time, there was an ASC beta program in a limited number of Best Buys, but the Best Buy beta program was deemed unworkable shortly thereafter. However, after the bankruptcy of CompUSA in early 2007, the ASC program did expand into Best Buy again, this time bringing the familiar Apple Retail Store look and feel through "store-within-a-store" Apple Shop sections.
[Speaking of iPad orders, we've been hearing for the last 24 hours that pre-order customers are seeing credit card charges for their iPads -- not just the WiFi models, but the 3G+ models as well, which is a little bit early if the 3Gs aren't shipping until late April. –Ed.]
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync