iPad the star of Modern Family
Warning: This post contains spoilers about the latest episode of Modern Family. You have been warned.
One of my favorite TV shows, Modern Family, was all about the iPad tonight, just days before the big release. The main character, Phil Dunphy, is thrilled at the prospect of receiving an iPad for his birthday, which coincides with the device's release. Of course, the show is a sitcom -- so it doesn't go as smoothly as he hoped.
Throughout the episode, Phil's wife waits in line at an Apple Store while she has her kids asking everyone they know if they can get their hands one on via Twitter, Facebook and text. It all works out in the end when Phil's youngest son pulls an iPad out of a paper bag for his dad.
It certainly was real and not a prop. After singing the happy birthday song, Phil blew out the "candles" atop an animated cake on the iPad's screen. Perhaps ABC's corporate parent's biggest stockholder was able to pull one off the production line in time for the show's filming several weeks ago.
It sure was clever of Apple to have such thorough product placement on one of the season's most popular new shows. You'll see three more screenshots after the break (sorry they're blurry). You can watch the episode in its entirety here.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration