Official: Apple sells more than 300K iPads on day one
Apple announced this morning that it sold more than 300,000 iPads on opening day. The comprehensive number includes pre-order pickups, deliveries to channel partners and walk-in sales at Apple Stores. Additionally, customers went home and downloaded more than 1,000,000 apps (oh, it's on) and 250,000 ebooks.
As Steve Jobs notes in the press release, the average owner downloaded about 3 iPad apps and 1 book on Saturday. Selling 300,000+ iPads in 24 hours is impressive, but a far cry of Munster's latest estimate of 700,000. Yet, it's right on target with his initial guess: between 200,000 and 300,000. Note that "deliveries to channel partners" means that Apple still counts unit sales for any unsold inventory that's at Best Buy or other authorized resellers.
By comparison, the iPhone 3G and 3GS sold one million units in three days and the first iPhone sold one million units in 74 days.
Apple announced this morning that it sold more than 300,000 iPads on opening day. The comprehensive number includes pre-order pickups,...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free