iPad hacksugar: iPad 3G hacked to send native SMS
Here's a cool little find for a quiet Sunday. MuscleNerd of the iPhone dev team has managed to allow his jailbroken 3G iPad to send command-line SMS text messages. This hack only works with SIM cards that have already paid for an SMS plan, in this case a T-Mobile SIM that was downsized to microSIM dimensions. (More about using T-Mobile SIMs here.) The 3G iPad was jailbroken using Spirit.
The hack works by communicating directly with the iPad baseband, using standard AT commands. As of yet, Apple's MobileSMS application, the SMS application that normally appears on iPhone home screens, has not worked on the iPad.
Will standard phone call service be next? Using minutes from a downsized SIM? Wait and see.
[via RedmondPie] Thanks, Steven Kappler.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature