CLEAR offers 4G iSpot mobile broadband to iDevice owners
Up until now, the products or concepts we've seen have all been capable of supporting any WiFi-enabled device that you might want to use with them, but here's a new wrinkle: CLEAR has launched the iSpot, a version of the company's WiMAX Spot mobile connectivity device that is designed to work only with the iPhone, iPod touch or iPad.
Yep, that's right -- you can't use your Mac or PC laptop with this lovely white broadband widget, just your iOS gear. Engadget reports that the iSpot is doing MAC filtering (that's Media Access Control, not Macintosh) to identify the legit devices.
It may seem like a fairly onerous restriction (and one that could be worked around relatively easily by a savvy user), but it comes with a hefty benefit. The iSpot normally sells for $99, but it's on sale today for $29; monthly service for the device is $25 for unlimited data. That compares very favorably to CLEAR's monthly charge of $40 for unlimited access on its similar Spot device, which supports all sorts of WiFi clients.
Of course, since the iSpot is a 4G-only device, it does you no good whatsoever if you're not covered by CLEAR. The company's footprint is growing, but it's far from ubiquitous; the iSpot is probably best for someone who's not planning to travel much with it.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration