Apple's App Store Review Guidelines: Some juicy bits
Line 8 is a standout: "We have over 250,000 apps in the App Store. We don't need any more Fart apps. If your app doesn't do something useful or provide some form of lasting entertainment, it may not be accepted."
From line 9: "If your App looks like it was cobbled together in a few days, or you're trying to get your first practice App into the store to impress your friends, please brace yourself for rejection. We have lots of serious developers who don't want their quality Apps to be surrounded by amateur hour." You'll remember Steve also said "amateur hour" during last week's press event.
Here's line 10: "We will reject Apps for any content or behavior that we believe is over the line. What line, you ask? Well, as a Supreme Court Justice once said, 'I'll know it when I see it'. And we think that you will also know it when you cross it."
Line 12 ends with a punch: "This is a living document, and new apps presenting new questions may result in new rules at any time. Perhaps your app will trigger this."
Finally, the introduction concludes with a subtle barb: "If it sounds like we're control freaks, well, maybe it's because we're so committed to our users and making sure they have a quality experience with our products. Just like almost all of you are too." Almost all of you.
The introduction sounds like it was copied verbatim from Steve Jobs' own mouth. We're looking at the rules themselves now, but here's the gist: Go ahead and use 3rd party apps, keeping the following in mind:
- Don't submit 3rd-party apps that download code
- Don't make crap
- Help us make a kick-ass experience for everyone
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync