Verizon CEO says no to iPhone? Oh.
The rumors have been flying around for longer than I can remember about there being a Verizon iPhone, but here it is, straight from one of the sources: "We would love to carry it when we get there, but we have to earn it." That's Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg speaking honestly on his company's chances at carrying the iPhone anytime soon. From that statement alone, you can probably conclude that while there may have been talks between Verizon and Apple about carrying the iPhone, it's not going to happen anytime soon, including by January (which is when the latest rumor puts the mythical announcement).
Why not? Seidenberg is talking about "earning it" with his company's 4G LTE network. While most of the rumors have evolved around a CDMA iPhone, Seidenberg says it's more likely that Apple will want to make a 4G phone, and whenever Apple decides to do that, Seidenberg wants to be there with the network to support it. "I think 4G will accelerate the process," he said, "and any other decisions Apple makes would be fine with us. Hopefully, at some point Apple will get with the program."
So if you were planning to jump on a brand new VeriPhone sooner rather than later, consider those hopes dashed -- for now. This means we get to stop dealing with the obviously fake "screaanshots," right?
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature