iPad will hit Verizon Wireless and AT&T stores October 28
Don your tin foil hats, conspiracy theorists: Verizon stores will begin selling iPads on October 28th.
There's no CDMA iPad. Big red will be selling iPads bundled with MiFi 2200s. Starting at $US630 for the 16GB model plus a MiFi, the bundles go up to $730 for the 32G model and $830 for the 64GB model.
Here's how the data plan works for these MiFi units. Customers will get a 1GB allowance in exchange for $20/month with no contract. That's a lot better than what I'm paying for my MiFi now, and it's a lot more convenient and warranty-friendly than previous iPad/MiFi combinations.
Meanwhile, AT&T stores will also begin selling iPads on the 28th, though they'll be stocking the 3G variety and not bundling them with external hotspots.
This might not be the Apple/Verizon news you were hoping for, but it's a start. We're big MiFi fans here at TUAW, and getting a mobile hotspot that can support five devices simultaneously definitely compensates for the hassle of carrying a second gadget and charger along.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync