SlingPlayer for iPad delivers all kinds of television to Apple's tablet
Sling Media has posted a preview video of their upcoming iPad app, and you can watch it in action right after the break below. It looks pretty darn good -- the app of course allows you to stream everything that comes from your Slingbox DVR device, including live TV, DVR'd content, or any on-demand offerings you might happen to have. The iPad app uses Apple's own H.264 codec, so while this is just a video demonstration, presumably the real thing will look just as good.
Unfortunately, this won't be the cheapest option -- the app isn't universal at all, so you'll have to pay another $30 on top of the $30 you may have already paid for the iPhone version. And that's after you buy and install a Slingbox in the first place, which itself requires yet another television subscription to actually deliver the content. Compared to a more subscription-based service like Netflix or Hulu, that's pretty pricey, though of course this setup can do things those can't. At any rate, if you're already hooked up to a Slingbox somewhere, $30 is cheap to get that content anywhere on the iPad. The app should be out soon.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app