SlingPlayer for iPad delivers all kinds of television to Apple's tablet
Sling Media has posted a preview video of their upcoming iPad app, and you can watch it in action right after the break below. It looks pretty darn good -- the app of course allows you to stream everything that comes from your Slingbox DVR device, including live TV, DVR'd content, or any on-demand offerings you might happen to have. The iPad app uses Apple's own H.264 codec, so while this is just a video demonstration, presumably the real thing will look just as good.
Unfortunately, this won't be the cheapest option -- the app isn't universal at all, so you'll have to pay another $30 on top of the $30 you may have already paid for the iPhone version. And that's after you buy and install a Slingbox in the first place, which itself requires yet another television subscription to actually deliver the content. Compared to a more subscription-based service like Netflix or Hulu, that's pretty pricey, though of course this setup can do things those can't. At any rate, if you're already hooked up to a Slingbox somewhere, $30 is cheap to get that content anywhere on the iPad. The app should be out soon.
Deals of the Daymore deals
Software Updatesmore updates
- Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Update 14.3.4
- Pixelmator 2.2 available with over 100 new features and improvements
- DabKick for iPhone lets you share photos, watch videos and now listen to music in real-time
- Google Now added to search app on iPhone, iPad
- GateGuru for iPhone has been updated and greatly improved
- Twitter updates its OS X client