Angry Birds hits 10 million iPhone downloads, coming to gaming consoles
Angry Birds creator Rovio has announced that the game has fetched a whopping 36 million downloads so far, including ten million paid downloads on the iOS platform alone. Those are some pretty incredible numbers -- there's no question at all that Angry Birds is as legendary an app on the iPhone as they come. In the larger mobile picture, Rovio still has a way to go -- the company itself wants to do 100 million downloads on the Android platform (where the game is a free download, and allows for premium purchases within the app), and even then will have to go a bit further to match up with Tetris' 100 million paid downloads on all mobile platforms.
But the game has definitely found its place in mobile app history already. Not only is there still that Christmas version planned for the coming holiday season, but Rovio has also announced that it will be releasing versions of the game for the Xbox 360, PS3, and the Wii sometime in 2011. Next year will bring another smartphone version, not a full sequel, but one where the pigs will apparently get a little more of the spotlight than the birds have given them so far. Talk about a bulldozer of an IP -- as big as this game has gotten, we haven't seen the last of it yet.
Angry Birds creator Rovio has announced that the game has fetched a whopping 36 million downloads so far, including ten million paid...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free