OnLive iPad app now available, but doesn't support gameplay streaming yet
OnLive has finally released an iPad app called OnLive Viewer -- but it probably doesn't do what you want it to quite yet. The cloud gaming service OnLive has been making a name for itself since it went online recently, by streaming live gameplay out to Macs, PCs and the company's official console box. A full iPad app from OnLive would be pretty amazing -- presumably, it would allow you to control and play any PC game directly on your iPad.
Unfortunately, the OnLive viewer app isn't that app just yet -- it doesn't support actual gameplay. What it does support is OnLive's social networking features, so you can make and contact your friends on the service from the app, and see what they're up to while online. You can also watch "Brag Clips," which are uploaded videos of other people's gameplay, and you can even stream straight from certain live games on the service. That's pretty cool -- it at least shows that the iPad is capable of receiving OnLive's gameplay streams.
But it's too bad we can't yet play games on the iPad. It's possible this is more of a test release, to see what demand is like on Apple's tablet and how it all runs. At least it is free. And eventually, we will hopefully get OnLive's core functionality running on iOS devices. When that finally comes around, it'll definitely be something to see.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free
- Dragon Dictate 4 released today with new features and speed enhancements