OnLive iPad app now available, but doesn't support gameplay streaming yet
OnLive has finally released an iPad app called OnLive Viewer -- but it probably doesn't do what you want it to quite yet. The cloud gaming service OnLive has been making a name for itself since it went online recently, by streaming live gameplay out to Macs, PCs and the company's official console box. A full iPad app from OnLive would be pretty amazing -- presumably, it would allow you to control and play any PC game directly on your iPad.
Unfortunately, the OnLive viewer app isn't that app just yet -- it doesn't support actual gameplay. What it does support is OnLive's social networking features, so you can make and contact your friends on the service from the app, and see what they're up to while online. You can also watch "Brag Clips," which are uploaded videos of other people's gameplay, and you can even stream straight from certain live games on the service. That's pretty cool -- it at least shows that the iPad is capable of receiving OnLive's gameplay streams.
But it's too bad we can't yet play games on the iPad. It's possible this is more of a test release, to see what demand is like on Apple's tablet and how it all runs. At least it is free. And eventually, we will hopefully get OnLive's core functionality running on iOS devices. When that finally comes around, it'll definitely be something to see.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options