iPhone 101: Where did I put that app?
Once you have a fair number of apps on your iOS device, you might find that you occasionally "lose" an app somewhere in the pages and/or folders of your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad. Handily, there's a trick for locating that app using iTunes. I consider myself a seasoned iTunes/iPhone user, and this simple little tip was a surprise to me. It might be to you, too!
Connect your device to your computer and let it show up under "Devices" in iTunes. Select the device and click on the "Apps" tab of the info panel. You'll see a list of all of your apps on the left, and a rendering of your device's screens (pages) on the right. All you need to do is double-click an app on the left to see exactly what page it's on, and in what folder, if you've organized that way.
Now, if only Apple hadn't removed the search field on the apps list. I've accumulated a decent app library, and scrolling that list is a pain, but at least I'll be able to find the apps on my device now. As commenters and colleagues have pointed out -- and as we've mentioned before -- the iTunes-wide search field at the top right of the window now serves double duty as a search tool for applications that you've bought/downloaded. Sorry for the misdirection!
Hat tip to Mike Tselikman!
Once you have a fair number of apps on your iOS device, you might find that you occasionally "lose" an app somewhere in the pages and/or...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free